Monday, May 28, 2012

So you've been shortlisted! ....Now what?

     First off, to those of you who have been shortlisted for the JET Program: CONGRATS! The application and interview process can be rough and this isn't an easy job to get into. All that waiting can make a person want to pull out their hair....but you've MADE IT.

     I happened to notice my job results email while in the car, on the way home from a long, tiring day at work. I thought, "Hmm. It's been a few hours since I've had the chance to check my email on my phone....let's see.........oh my god. I see the word "congratulations". It has to be good!!!!  AhHHHHHHH". After I got over the inital shock of this news, I calmed myself down enough to call and text family and friends, then, of course, updated my facebook status :-P 

     The next day, the reality of everything set in. I read over the email again, and made note of all the additional documents that had to be submitted. I sadly realised that my work here was not yet done.... Here's the list of things you'll have to mail in after getting shortlisted or alternated for JET:
          
             1) Reply Form: This is a 2 page document. You answer some basic questions, attach two passport sized photos and a copy of your passport.

            2) FBI Background Check: First, you fill out this form: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/applicant-information-form ... then, you mail that, along with fingerprints(rolled impressions of all 10 fingers), and check/money order/credit card form, to the FBI (FBI CJIS Division – Record Request, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306). If you need the credit card form, you can find it here: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/credit-card-payment-form

             3) IRS Proof of Residency Forms (Form 6166): Here is the form 8802 you'll need to fill out to request From 6166 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8802.pdf . Make sure you follow whatever instructions you are given from your consulate in your acceptance letter/email. You can find additional information about these forms here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8802.pdf

             4) Medical Form: You must have a medical doctor fill out this form and make sure they answer every question. I've heard countless stories of people having to go back to their doctor, because something was missing. It includes a urine test, eye test, color blindness test, TB test (or chest xray), vitals (blood pressure and heart rate), and some medical history questions. If the question doesn't apply to you, have the doctor write "N/A".

             5) Proof of graduation: This applies only if you haven't already submitted it with your original application.


       In most cases, you'll be asked to submit the reply form, medical form, and copies of your background check request within 3-4 weeks of your acceptance email. Considering it could take some time to get in to see a doctor, get fingerprints, etc, it's a good idea to get started on these things as quickly as possible. Also, the background check takes anywhere from 6-12 weeks to be done, so sending that out quickly is important; the JET office usually wants it by late June.

      After you get all that sent, you can sit back and relax for a little while, until you get your placement email, which is usually sent in late May/early June. Then, a few weeks after that you'll get some additional info from your BoE (board of education), a contract, and your predecessor's info, so you can ask them questions.

I'll be posting again sometime in the next few days to talk about where I've been placed and what I'm currently doing to prepare for departure!


No comments:

Post a Comment