Saturday, May 19, 2012

Playing the Waiting Game

The waiting period between turning in the application until finding out if you got the interview can be really stressful. Then, if you get the interview, you'll have even more waiting to endure between after the interview up until the time you find out if you got the job.
Based on my own personal experience, as well as some comments from the Official JET Forums, here is a list of  things you can do to help get through these long periods of waiting and be prepared.

1) Continue on with life as usual and stay busy. A watched pot never boils, and all that jazz. Plan some extra get togethers with friends. I had to make myself get out of the house more often, instead of letting myself sit in front of my laptop, continually refreshing the JET forums for any new news (Yes, I am guilty of this...) Do things to help keep your mind off the fact that you are waiting for job results.

2) Exercise. This is something that I wish I would have started sooner. Exercising really helps in relieving tension and stress. I find that running is especially helpful. Sometimes, something as simple as walking a lap around my local park relaxes my mind, particularly when walking with a friend. Blast upbeat, peppy music or work out on the treadmill in front of the TV while watching your favorite show.

3) Research.
 - If you're waiting to find out if you got an interview, use this time to find out where the interviews will be held, and find an affordable hotel close by if you live an hour or more away. Interview results are usually released just 2-3 weeks before the interviews are held, so it is good to already have a hotel in mind and be able to reserve a room the second you find out. Make sure you own a nice business suit or, for the ladies, a nice blouse and dress pants/skirt/dress. Also, do some research on possible interview questions. Don't go too overboard, though, because the questions they ask are often tailored specifically to your application. It is important to have good, solid answers to these basic questions: 1) Why did you choose the JET Program?, and 2) Why Japan?
Read over your statement of purpose and think about what questions they may ask you from that.
 - If you're waiting to find out job results after having interviewed, it is best to avoid the internet as much as possible. Seriously. Check your email every now and then as it nears April, but don't let yourself dwell on it.


In my next post, I will be talking about my interview experience in Washington, DC.






No comments:

Post a Comment