Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Busy busy

     Hey, everyone! It has been a while since I last posted and a lot has happened since then.

     I started teaching and have now finished all my self introduction lessons. I'm getting to know my fellow teachers and students and I feel like I'm starting to get used to this whole ALT thing. There are times it can be hectic, but most of the time, the job is "ok students, repeat after kayla sensei", and I read passages from the text book. I have gotten to play games with some of my classes, which have been really fun, but there are a lot of required monotonous tasks I must help with in order to prepare students for tests. I understand that this is necessary; learning a new language requires some repetition. However, fun activities are really what help keep students' attention and allow them to really connect and relate with the subject. I'm hoping that, once the JTEs (Japanese teachers of English) and I get used to working with one another, I can be given some freedom to do activities every now and then.

     I have gotten to do a good amount of traveling recently, too! Since my last entry in mid-August, I have been to Shima, Ise, Tsu, and Kuwana in the Mie prefecture, as well as Osaka (Universal Studios and shopping/exploring in the Shinsaibashi and Namba areas). When we went to Osaka, we stayed in a Capsule Hotel, which was a rather interesting experience. I always imagined that sleeping in a 'capsule' would make me feel a little claustrophobic, but it was actually kind of comfortable :)  It was also very cheap to stay there (about 2300yen!) Osaka was amazing, and I hope to go back very soon. It only took about 1 1/2 hours to get there by a limited express train, so taking weekend trips there is very feasible. The next place I'm hoping to check out is Nagoya, as it is only about an hour away by the express train.
Entrance of Universal Studios Japan!!!

    Tomorrow and Friday, I don't have any classes, because they are doing midterm exams. I think I'll be using that time to study Japanese and do some research on games I can play with the students. Also, I really need to clean up my apartment and buy some shelves! I'm getting pretty close to making this place feel like home, but it's still a little too cluttered. I'm starting to get used to what shops I can go to to buy certain things and where they are located in relation to my apartment. When I'm at the City Hall and look out the window, it makes me realize that Suzuka isn't really that big. However, when you travel by walking, biking, and train only, it can make a small city seem like a never-ending maze.

   

      Hope everyone is having a good day! I'll see you guys again soon.

   



   



No comments:

Post a Comment